Monday, March 18, 2013

Between love and Mad Men lies obsession. 

So..what is so great about this series "Mad Men" aside from the vicarious thrill I get from 
watching someone smoking every five seconds? (And since I'm a year off the nico-intoxication, I figured I was safe enough to watch now without giving in to temptation).    I think it had to do with atmosphere..mood, setting, wardrobe, the clinking martini glasses as constant image, and in particular those fun clean cut (sometimes pseudo space-agey) lines of the furnishings, all
THE JETSONS, a show I remember!   
The connections to events going on in the 60s that are woven into some of the story lines.   The fact that, like the TV of the 60s itself, there is so little graphic anything, but violence in particular.    A lot of suggestion, perhaps, but very little graphic depicted.   Characters going through their all very common trials in life, in particular in their failed or floundering relationships. 
Maybe it just reminds me of my parents drinking parties at that time, when homes had themed and dedicated bar areas, (Pirates Cove!)  usually featuring  glasses,  napkins,  and trays with cute little sayings.    At superficial review, The main protagonist just seems like a typical sexist idiot of his times, but indeed that is part of the point.   To depict the times accurately.   I have no doubt that this wasn't the culture of the times.     And Don is also an anti-protagonist, hard to like at times (many times) yet gaining my sympathy in seeing his struggle to make a connection to the world that is "real"  (We see this briefly in his relationship with Anna in LA, don't we? )      Ah more to think about , as I'm finishing the last few episodes on NETFLIX, and there is NO SEASON FIVE THERE.  Will I survive?  I don't have a TV/ Cable.  I'll have to find a way.

No comments:

Post a Comment